Virtual Visit: Civics
Explore the process of how a bill becomes a law in New York State.
213 Members of the NYS Legislature
63 State Senators
150 State Assemblymembers
2 Year Legislative Terms
10,000+ Bills Proposed Each Year
- New York State was established in 1777.
- There are 213 members of the New York State Legislature.
- Over 10,000 bills are proposed each year.
- The original Capitol was in Kingston during the American Revolution.
- The first governor of NY was George Clinton who served for over 17 years.
- There have been 56 Governors.
What are New York State’s three branches of government?
Legislative Branch (Senate/Assembly), Judicial Branch (Court System), Executive Branch (Governor).
When was New York State’s constitution ratified?
April 20, 1777 in Kingston, New York.
How long are terms for the New York State Legislature?
2-year terms, no term limits.
How long are terms for the New York State Governorship?
4 years, no term limits.
How many bills can the Governor veto each legislative session?
There are no limitations on how many bills a Governor can veto.
Can a veto be overridden?
A veto can be overridden with a vote in support of the bill by 2/3 of the membership from each House (Senate and Assembly).
What is the official New York animal?
What is the official New York bird?
What is the official New York Tree?