The New York State Executive Mansion is located on Eagle Street in downtown Albany. Since 1875, this house has been home to New York's governors and their families. It is a house that is eclectic in style, filled with history and rich with tradition. It remains a fitting symbol of the variety and greatness of the Empire State.
Choose a Tour
General Tour: The general tour takes the visitor on a journey through the Mansion, examining its roles as both an official residence and a private home to New York's governors and their families. Tour discussion focuses on past and present New York State governors, architectural history, furnishings and artwork, and the Mansion's present existence as a LEED-certified building.
Student Tour: The student tour focuses on four key periods in the Mansion's history: the Victorian era, 1920s to the mid-1930s, 1960s to the present, and the 21st Century. Through the use of artifacts, furnishings, and art, students will explore the Executive Mansion's significance to the culture and history of New York State. The tour culminates with a discussion about the Executive Mansion in the 21st century, including the importance of sustainable living and the Mansion’s LEED-Gold certification.
Pre-Visit Resource Kit For Teachers: Teachers who plan to bring their classes to the Executive Mansion are encouraged to download and use the Mansion Tour Program Resource Kit. The kit provides information and activities designed to enhance the tour experience for the students.
- Reservations are required and must be made at least two weeks in advance.
- To reserve a time, call (518) 474-2418.
- Tours take place on Thursdays from September to June and last less than one hour.
- Private groups must have at least 10 visitors with a maximum of 30 visitors (including chaperones).
Important Tour Details
- Tours are free of charge.
- Photo identification is required for all adults.
- Location: Tours begin at the far left front gate near the security booth, 138 Eagle Street, Albany.
- Length: Tours last approximately one hour.
- Accessibility: The Executive Mansion is fully accessible for persons with disabilities. Please inform us of any special needs when making your reservation.
- Arrival: Please arrive at the Mansion gates 5 minutes prior to the starting time of your tour.
- Cancellations: If you are going to be late, or must cancel a tour, kindly notify the Plaza Visitor Center at (518) 474-2418. Tours may be canceled on short notice. If a tour is canceled, we will contact you by phone to reschedule.
- Directions and Parking: The New York Executive Mansion is a short walking distance from the Empire State Plaza. Starting on Madison Avenue in front of the State Museum, walk down the street to the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception and turn right onto Eagle Street. Parking is not available at the Executive Mansion. Buses may unload passengers at the front gate.